Join us on Sunday, September 15 from 5:30 - 7:30 for the kick-off of Hispanic Heritage Month with a focus on Guatemala. In addition to trivia and celebrating this month long commemoration of all things Latino, we will also sponsor a fundraiser for The Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative located in Sololá, Guatemala.
Our resident Guatemalan expert, Vivian Harvey, will have hand-woven scarves on sale, in addition to beaded ornaments and small textile coin purses and bags. What a perfect gift for the holidays! All gifts will come with a small card about the women who created that particular item and proceeds benefit The Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative. Cash or check only. (No monies will go toward Speak Our Language.) Don't delay in arriving on time as most items have sold out in years past.
While we test your skill on Latin American culture with Hispanic Heritage Month trivia, enjoy some cervezas and other snacks and discover magical Central Guatemala which is our 2014 trip. During the February 14- 23rd adventure you can meet the very women who hand-crafted the scarves and other goods and they will also be featured in our slide show.
SOL owner, Tonya Tiggett, ventured to the Highlands of Guatemala in March of this year and as she says, "This is the most interesting, beautiful and unique place I have ever been. It is simply breathtaking and makes you feel that you have stepped back in time. I can't wait to go back."
- visiting the home of renowned artist Mariano González in a charming lakeside village
- learn how ceramics in a small mom and pop "fábrica" are made
- observe weaving technique at the Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative
- traverse gorgeous Lake Atitlán which is surrounded by volcanic mountains
- explore several of the village on the shores of this ancient lake
- peruse the numerous shops and stands along Calle Santander in Panajachel for handmade crafts
- enjoy a brief stop in Guatemala City and an overnight in quaint, historic, colonial Antigua which will complete your 9 day adventure.
Click here for more information and trip details.
"If you ask Mark Powell, he’ll tell you requiring Trinity Lutheran Seminary students to take a year of Spanish is simply a matter of responding to the marketplace."
To read more, click here.
SOL has provided over 2,108 hours of Spanish language instruction to 170 clients throughout 2012. We also moved for the first time in five years! After a long search and taking advantage of the connections and genius of our awesome student Diane Francescon, we landed classroom space at St. Timothy's school near Riverside Hospital. Principal George Mosholder has welcomed us to his school with open arms and we are happy to find a partner who is equally invested in our success as we are.
We also, by happenstance, found another great partnership with the Columbus School of Chinese and school owner Chris Stellato. So several of our smaller classes have moved to the Bethel Road location of the CSC and we will explore this partnership more in 2013.
SOL got a facelift; an aesthetic and electronic make-over courtesy of Gong Gong Communications. Because of our website overhaul, we were able to move our registrations from paper to online to be a little more green and provide you with more convenience in registering.
Finally, we had a lovely surprise with our client and student extraordinaire, Dr. Mark Allan Powell, who enlisted our help to assist his Trinity Lutheran Seminary students in learning basic Spanish. We have thoroughly enjoyed their dedication to studying and for putting up with our whacky sense of humor.
Check out our additional successes below that we are proud to share with all of you who make it possible to go to work each day, continuing to love what we do. ¡Feliz 2013! As we like to say around SOL, "Hope we see you in a class muy pronto!"
- Kicked of Talking &Tacos at El Vaquero Olentangy River Road location
- Owner Tonya Tiggett featured in Columbus CEO Magazine, Good Day Columbus and most recently 10TV
- Re-launched Children's After School Spanish at Taylor Road Elementary School in Reynoldsburg
- Introduced brand new children's curriculum that maps to the Ohio Department of Education Standards for k-6 foreign language learning and also includes the 5 C's of 21st Century Foreign Language Standards
- Formed strategic partnership with Accessible Translation Solutions owner, Madalena Sanchez-Zampaulo
- Partnered with Max & Erma's Dublin location for Cinco de Mayo trivia
- First time four simultaneous language classes taking place, with Beginner 1 doubling the size of the class from all previous years to 15 students
- Returned to Cuernavaca and the Cemanahuac School for the third consecutive year with our annual study abroad to Mexico
- Welcomed seven new staff members to SOL: Lindsay, Ann, Annie, Patty, Jennifer and Emily. Marvella is our new, awesome project manager who is not only a native-Spanish speaker, but who also holds a Master's degree in Project Management. Whew - she will provide much relief to us in tracking our numerous sessions, pieces and parts!
- Worthington Police to Train in Spanish with Speak Our Language
- Tonya Tiggett recognized as a VISIONARY finalist by NAWBO Columbus
- DAY of THE DEAD Celebration a Chilling Success!
- Owner Tonya Tiggett teaches Spanish on TV and radio for Cinco de Mayo
- The New York Times Company says “Sí” to working with Speak Our Language!
Take a Trip!
We've got some exciting international trips planned. Join us...
- Spanish - Beginner 1 (January 5 - February 25, 2014 6:00 pm)
- Spanish - Beginner 2 (January 5 - February 25, 2014 6:00 pm)
- Spanish - Intermediate 1 (January 5 - February 25, 2014 6:00 pm)
- Guatemala Cultural Immersion Tour (February 14 - 23, 2014)
- Peru Tour with Vivian Harvey (October 29 - November 28, 2014)
Latest News & Posts
Engage with SOL!