SOL has provided over 1,477 hours of Spanish language instruction to 171 clients - an increase of 15 students from 2012!
We continued partnering with St. Timothy's School for classroom space and provided St. Tim's students with over $4,500 in student scholarships through our room utilization agreement.
Check out our additional successes below that we are proud to share with all of you who make it possible to go to work each day, continuing to love what we do. ¡Feliz 2014! AS we like to say around SOL, "Hope to see you in class muy pronto!"
- We secured 13 travelers for our 2014 Guatemala trip (see article in this eNews or on our website).
- SOL founder Tonya Tiggett was invited to join The Ohio State University, Fisher College of Business MBA Adjunct Faculty to teach Professional Development and Communications to 80 graduate students.
- Three babies born on our staff to Annie, Marvella (our former project manager), and Diana (our former teaching assistant who moved to Florida).
Guatemala Trip Highlights
February 14th - February 23rd
Antigua, Guatemala City, Lake Atitlán and surrounding villages, Chichicastenango
Thirteen travellers with Vivan Harvey as our guide. (Vivan Harvey)
Join us on Sunday, September 15 from 5:30 - 7:30 for the kick-off of Hispanic Heritage Month with a focus on Guatemala. In addition to trivia and celebrating this month long commemoration of all things Latino, we will also sponsor a fundraiser for The Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative located in Sololá, Guatemala.
Our resident Guatemalan expert, Vivian Harvey, will have hand-woven scarves on sale, in addition to beaded ornaments and small textile coin purses and bags. What a perfect gift for the holidays! All gifts will come with a small card about the women who created that particular item and proceeds benefit The Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative. Cash or check only. (No monies will go toward Speak Our Language.) Don't delay in arriving on time as most items have sold out in years past.
While we test your skill on Latin American culture with Hispanic Heritage Month trivia, enjoy some cervezas and other snacks and discover magical Central Guatemala which is our 2014 trip. During the February 14- 23rd adventure you can meet the very women who hand-crafted the scarves and other goods and they will also be featured in our slide show.
SOL owner, Tonya Tiggett, ventured to the Highlands of Guatemala in March of this year and as she says, "This is the most interesting, beautiful and unique place I have ever been. It is simply breathtaking and makes you feel that you have stepped back in time. I can't wait to go back."
- visiting the home of renowned artist Mariano González in a charming lakeside village
- learn how ceramics in a small mom and pop "fábrica" are made
- observe weaving technique at the Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative
- traverse gorgeous Lake Atitlán which is surrounded by volcanic mountains
- explore several of the village on the shores of this ancient lake
- peruse the numerous shops and stands along Calle Santander in Panajachel for handmade crafts
- enjoy a brief stop in Guatemala City and an overnight in quaint, historic, colonial Antigua which will complete your 9 day adventure.
Click here for more information and trip details.
Take a Trip!
We've got some exciting international trips planned. Join us...
Latest News & Posts
Engage with SOL!